Powered by Blogger.
Attention GFC Followers! I will be switching to Wordpress soon, please subscribe by RSS. For details click here.

In My Mailbox #22

>>Sunday, November 13, 2011

Welcome to another edition of In My Mailbox hosted by The Story Siren! In the past couple weeks I only picked up a few books, but they are ones I'm excited about!

For Review
First Day On Earth by Cecil Castellucci - I'm excited to read this young novel and also excited that I and other Montreal Book Bloggers will be able to have breakfast with Ms. Castellucci next week. We're going to discuss the book and other bookish things! Can't wait!
A startling, wonderful novel about the true meaning of being an alien in an equally alien world.
"We are specks. Pieces of dust in this universe. Big nothings.
"I know what I am."
Mal lives on the fringes of high school. Angry. Misunderstood. Yet loving the world -- or, at least, an idea of the world.
Then he meets Hooper. Who says he's from another planet. And may be going home very soon.


The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson - this is one of my most anticipated releases of the year! Can't wait to get back into the Mistborn universe.
Three hundred years after the events of the Mistborn trilogy, Scadrial is now on the verge of modernity, with railroads to supplement the canals, electric lighting in the streets and the homes of the wealthy, and the first steel-framed skyscrapers racing for the clouds.

Kelsier, Vin, Elend, Sazed, Spook, and the rest are now part of history—or religion. Yet even as science and technology are reaching new heights, the old magics of Allomancy and Feruchemy continue to play a role in this reborn world. Out in the frontier lands known as the Roughs, they are crucial tools for the brave men and women attempting to establish order and justice.

One such is Waxillium Ladrian, a rare Twinborn, who can Push on metals with his Allomancy and use Feruchemy to become lighter or heavier at will.  After twenty years in the Roughs, Wax has been forced by family tragedy to return to the metropolis of Elendel. Now he must reluctantly put away his guns and assume the duties and dignity incumbent upon the head of a noble house. Or so he thinks, until he learns the hard way that the mansions and elegant tree-lined streets of the city can be even more dangerous than the dusty plains of the Roughs.
Bought
The Bards of Bone Plain by Patricia A. McKillip - found this book in the bargain bin and couldn't resist. It has a great cover.
Scholar Phelan Cle is researching Bone Plain-which has been studied for the last 500 years, though no one has been able to locate it as a real place. Archaeologist Jonah Cle, Phelan's father, is also hunting through time, piecing history together from forgotten trinkets. His most eager disciple is Princess Beatrice, the king's youngest daughter. When they unearth a disk marked with ancient runes, Beatrice pursues the secrets of a lost language that she suddenly notices all around her, hidden in plain sight.

5 comments:

  1. Lisa my dear! how have you been? it's been a long time!

    Im looking forward to read your thoughts of The Bars of Bone Plan!! looks totally amazing!

    MY IM My Mailbox!

    Happy reading! XOXO
    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. First Day on Earth sounds like a great read. Have fun meeting the author :)

    Happy Reading!

    My IMM: http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.com/2011/11/imm-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should pick Mistborn back up and give it a second go. I started it a year ago when I was having trouble reading and I found it too thick to get into. It was just too much for my brain at the time, I keep seeing books in this series and thinking "Oh, that sounds fantastic!" and then forget I have the first one that I NEED to read. Maybe that'll be my goal to accomplish before the end of the year. ;)

    Looking forward to seeing you next Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great set! The McKillip's book sounds fabulous. Enjoy!
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got First Day on Earth too (obviously) and I thought it was awesome. I'm a big McKillip fan (despite not being a fan of fantasy, generally), but I haven't read that one yet. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Clubs/Groups

Join Razorbill!Parajunkee Design

Parajunkee Design

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP