Powered by Blogger.
Attention GFC Followers! I will be switching to Wordpress soon, please subscribe by RSS. For details click here.

Review: The Riddle by Alison Croggon

>>Friday, March 12, 2010

Title: The Riddle
Author: Alison Croggon
Series: Book Two of the Pellinor Quartet
Format: Paperback
Pages: 490
Genre: Epic Fantasy, Young Adult
Publication Date: September 11th, 2007
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Rating: 9.5

Summary:
From Goodreads: Maerad is a girl with a tragic past, but her powers grow stronger by the day. Now she and her mentor, Cadvan, hunted by both the Light and the Dark, must unravel the Riddle of the Treesong before their kingdom erupts in chaos. The quest leads Maerad over terrifying seas and glacial wilderness, until she is trapped in the icy realm of the seductive Winterking. There, Maerad must confront what she has suspected all along: that she is the greatest riddle of all.

Why did I read this book? Read and loved the first book, The Naming.

Source: Bought

My Review
So this book continues where The Naming left off. Maerad and Cadvan are trying to figure out the Riddle of the Treesong and also trying to stay alive as they are pursued by evil forces. Maerad comes into the hands of the Winterking and must try to solve the riddle and also escape his grasp.

I really, really enjoyed this book. Compared to The Naming, it definitely progresses the main plot more fully and some revelations are made. The book is very well written, perhaps even more so plot-wise than The Naming but in general I enjoyed the Naming more. First, not all the same characters are in this book which focuses more on Maerad than anything else and also because some of the new characters didn't stand out to me as much as the ones in the Naming did. Don't get me wrong, I still believe this is one of the best YA fantasies I ever read and I am eager to finish the series.

Rating: 9.5
I really liked the beginning of The Riddle, there are some pretty awesome battles of magic and I also liked the scenes with the Winter King. These books really give off an air of sophistication and detail that I don't always find in YA fantasy.

Anyways, bottom line is if you haven't read The Naming or The Riddle yet, do so. They are YA fantasy must reads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clubs/Groups

Join Razorbill!Parajunkee Design

Parajunkee Design

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP