Powered by Blogger.
Attention GFC Followers! I will be switching to Wordpress soon, please subscribe by RSS. For details click here.

Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin

>>Sunday, May 16, 2010

Title: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms
Author: N.K. Jemisin
Series: The Inheritance Trilogy #1
Format: Paperback
Pages: 410
Genre: Fantasy
Publication Date: February 25th, 2010
Publisher: Orbit
Rating: 10

Summary:
From Goodreads: Yeine Darr is an outcast from the barbarian north. But when her mother dies under mysterious circumstances, Yeine is summoned to the majestic city of Sky. There, to her shock, she is named an heiress to the king.

Source: Bought

My Review
This novel has all the things I like: Gods, mortals, mystery, court intrigue, palaces, magic, love, and plot twists. It is really, really good. I think this is my favorite book I have read in a long time. I think this is mostly due to the fact that Jemisin is such a gifted writer; it was so easy to read this book because she can create such vivid images and feelings effortlessly (or at least make it look that way). I found myself liking many characters; Sieh, the god in the form and mind of a boy, Nahadoth the Nightlord, Scimina the scheming cousin. Jemisin creates a different format for telling the story. It is narrated by Yeine but throughout she falters and the narration changes s and you only find out at the end why this is.

By the end of the novel I found myself caring a lot about the characters. In the beginning I wasn’t too connected with Yeine but she really grows and changes through the story that by the end I was really hoping she would succeed.

Rating: 10
I believe this is Jeminsin’s first novel (although she is not new to writing) and I have to highly, highly recommend this to anyone interested in a unique fantasy and one written excellently. I cannot wait for the rest of the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clubs/Groups

Join Razorbill!Parajunkee Design

Parajunkee Design

Total Pageviews

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP